Love Your Skin- Treat Your Acne Today!
Are you frustrated with acne and get upset every time you look in the mirror? Do you ever wish you had clear, radiant skin? You’re not alone! Acne is one of the most common skin conditions, and it affects people of all ages, from teenaged through middle aged and beyond. Yet, with over 60 million Americans suffering with the problem, effective treatments can be difficult to find. From exfoliate scrubs and chemical peels to over-the-counter creams and oral medications, the search for the right treatment can be as frustrating as the breakouts. At Fix Laser & Skin Center in Glendale, CA, we offer specialized solutions for persistent acne, using proven techniques and the newest technology.
What is Acne?
Acne is caused by the overproduction of androgens, hormones that stimulate the sebaceous glands causing them to enlarge and increase production of sebum. This increase in oil production, coupled with dead skin cells, results in blockages in the hair follicle and sebaceous glands. The most common sites of acne are the face, chest, shoulders, and back since these are the parts of the body where the most sebaceous follicles are found. Untreated acne can cause permanent scarring.
This revolutionary treatment can purify your skin from the inside out, and is a quick, easy and painless way to treat acne. Isolaz is the only aesthetic technology that combines broadband light with a vacuum tool to deliver effective acne treatment. Here’s how:
Broadband Light – helps destroy acne-causing bacteria and reduces skin redness
Vacuum — helps loosen and extract dirt, blackheads and excess oil from deep within the pores
Does diet affect acne?
Dairy, carbs, chocolate – maybe
Studies indicate that certain foods, such as milk and white bread, may trigger acne outbreaks, and a recent study showed a relationship between eating chocolate and an increase in acne. Further studies are ongoing to help more definitively establish if dietary restrictions could help with the management of acne.
Greasy foods – not likely
Eating greasy food, long suspected of causing breakouts, hasn’t been proven to have any effect on acne. Working in an environment where hot oil is being used might be a risk factor because oil can stick to acne-prone skin, blocking hair follicles and causing further irritation.
Is acne treatment expensive?
Costs vary, based on:
- Severity of the acne
- Type and duration of treatments
- Type of products necessary
- Need for physician managed care
Typical costs also depend on the part of the country where treatments are taking place and could fall in these ranges:
Over the counter
A daily regimen that might include medicated cleanser, topical acne cream — $/month
Doctor visits and prescriptions
A daily regimen that could include oral antibiotics and one or more prescription-strength topical acne creams — $/month
These could include exfoliating facials, chemical peels — $/month
Reducing scarring and improving skin texture
Microdermabrasion, dermabrasion, laser treatments, dermal fillers — $<400-2,000>/per treatment
The team at Fix Laser & Skin is happy to answer any further questions you may have on financing or treatment options. You can also access our pricing specials here.
Who is a good candidate for acne treatment?
Good candidates include males and females of any age who have blackheads and/or whiteheads, cysts and/or nodules on the face, neck, upper chest, back and/or upper arms. But more importantly, if your happiness and self-confidence are being diminished because of any degree of acne or acne scars, you could be a good candidate for treatment.
What are my acne treatment options?
There are many treatment options available, depending on the severity of your condition and, often times, whether or not you’re a teenager or adult, but typically fall into two categories:
- Over-the-counter (nonprescription) products
- Prescription oral and topical medications
Common topical prescription medications:
- Retinoids : This Vitamin A derivative comes in creams, gels and lotions and works by preventing plugging of the hair follicles.
- Antibiotic creams: These work by killing excess skin bacteria and reducing redness.
Prescriptions oral medications
- Antibiotics: For moderate to severe acne to reduce bacteria and fight inflammation.
- Combined oral contraceptives: Useful in treating acne in women and adolescent girls.
- Anti-androgen agent: This is a drug that may be considered for women and adolescent girls if oral antibiotics aren’t helping.
- Isotretinoin: A powerful drug reserved for people with the most severe acne that doesn’t respond to other treatments.
In office acne treatments
These therapies may be recommended alone or in combination with medications:
- Light therapy : Targets the bacteria that cause acne inflammation.
- Chemical peel: Uses repeated applications of a chemical solution, such as salicylic acid.
- Extraction: Doctor uses special tools to remove whiteheads and blackheads that haven’t cleared up with topical medications.
- Steroid injection: Nodular and cystic lesions can be treated by injecting a steroid drug directly into the lesion.
If you’re tired of feeling unhappy because of acne and want to discover how to have clearer, more radiant skin, we can work together to create an effective treatment plan for you. Call to schedule your appointment today: (818) 248-9575.
Want to read more about acne treatment and our other offered services? Visit Fix Laser & Skin Center’s blog!